Monday 31 December 2012

The Bright Side Of Life

Salam...

It is the last day of the year and soon it will be 2013. Comes end of the year it has always been a common scenario for an employee like me for instance where we would tend to appraise other people's performance and as well as to be evaluated by some higher rank person in the employment hierarchy.
http://www.buzzle.com/img/articleImages/429130-5625-50.jpg
Once done with the appraisal process, the person will be seen either as an excellent contributor or for the worst to be one of the unproductive of them all. For one on the high side then, he or she might be rewarded such as promotion, salary adjustment, etc. for all the hard work done. But being on the other end or rated as the "not up to expectation", he or she might be dealt in a different manner.

Throughout my years as a human resource practitioner, I got to see and learned that it is a common act where the evaluator would tend to stress and focus very much on the weak side of the person who is being evaluated instead of the guy's strong side. In a normal scenario, the evaluator would then lecture the poor guy on what he should improve or what he or she should be and this is very demotivating I guess.

In my opinion, no matter if we act as a person who evaluates or be evaluated, have we ever asked ourselves questions such as to how far have we manipulated our strengths or the other person's positive aspects or did we stretched our or his or her strengths to a certain extend? What I am trying to emphasize is that couldn't we look on the bright side and further develop it and make it stronger?
http://www.beauxartslondon.co.uk/Artists/David%20Spiller/L%20030908-041008/always%20look%20on%20the%20bright%20side%20of%20life.jpg
To tell you the truth, back then, I did the same approach and I guess it just did not work well either for me or my subordinates when much was very much focused on the weak side rather than on the bright side and to add salt to the wound neither me nor my subordinates performed. Leading to that, I changed my approach, my principles, my techniques and... Presto!!! Everybody became better!

As for the case and a note to my partner in crime : To make my life brighter, I am in love with that Marshall MG Series MG30CFX 30W 1x10 Guitar Combo Amp Carbon Fiber as to replace the soon to be handed Marshall 10 Amp to its new owner. So, my dearest... knowing that you have got your bonus paid out, work something out ya... :-)
http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/18/001/642/471/DV016_Jpg_Large_H76561.001_carbon_fiber_V.jpg
See ya and Happy New Year 2013...

Rhymee

No comments:

Post a Comment