Friday 5 August 2011

The Books I Relied On For My Survival

Salam...

Some time ago I wrote an article about "Reading" if you could recall. Read here

As I am so that passionate to reading, I list down the books that very much have guided and influenced me and I even relied upon for my survival I would say throughout my life.
The Art of War is a book written by a high ranking military general named Sun Tzu and it is about the thoughts on strategies and tactics which could be applied in our every days living. It has surely helped me being better in deriving decision whenever I am in a judgmental situation.
This self-help book was first published in 1989 which in general it outlined the seven habits an effective person should acquire. The habits listed by the author are "Be proactive", "Begin the end in mind", "Put First Things First", "Think Win-win", "Seek first to understand then to be understood", "Synergize" and "Sharpen the saw". If you wish to know more about it, go get one at the nearest bookstore.
Next, a book written by the guru of lateral thinking Edward de Bono. In my opinion, the book is about a technique or a thinking tool for group discussion and individual thinking and overall towards becoming a better thinker. It helps me during problem solving which enable me to look into the matters from a variety of angles and perspectives.
A masterpiece produced by our ex-Prime Minister who touches on the issues within the Malays and Malaysia as a whole. His writings has impacted me so much in a sense that I have always push myself taking up challenges after challenges besides to be "the jack of all trades" and constantly to be on the bright side of life. This book always reminds me of who I am and not to overstep in pursuing the future.

Finally, my guide of all guides! The one and only, the Al-Quran. It surely helps to guide me for today, tomorrow and the day after.

There you go! Albeit I have read lots of books these five have always been my guide in challenging my life. In my opinion, a man who is without guide is as a boat which is without sail in an open sea. So, go get yourself a guide in order to be guided.

As in my case, too much reading had at times cost me a fortune. Why? In any argument, discussion, etc. with my wife, I would always be on the winning side and she would stop talking to me until I get her something or anything. Even though I am winning on one side but at the same time I am losing on the other. I guess I should plan to lose one day and see what shall happen next. :-)

See ya...

Rhymee

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for whom I am not".
Kurt Cobain

2 comments:

Unknown said...

the fisrt 2 books tu tgok cover pun tak lalu nak selak isi dia...hihi

but i adore Tun M...

and of course, yg last tu should be our guidance now n forever ;)

Rhymee said...

Noriz : Start with a word then a sentence then a paragraph and finally you gonna love the whole book. Trust me. Otherwise, I would have to suggest you my son's book, the one which the train can sing one, I guess. I'll check the cover for you. Ha..ha..ha.. :-)

Post a Comment