Monday 18 April 2011

Reading

Salam…

It was the call of nature when my nine year old son Ilhan hurried like hell from the car porch after our usual Sunday breakfast at our favourite hangout place to the upper floor bathroom, as to me, he is considered as those of the “last minute” type. A few seconds later, he rushed out of the bathroom, eyes wandering around the living room searching for his usual “partner” – a reading material. He picked up a local magazine “Kaki Bola” as he is very much into football and went back to the bathroom to reconcile his “unfinished business”.J

For you to know, it has been his habit that whilst performing “that thing” he will always be accompanied by any sort of reading material let it be a magazine, a story book, comics or whatsoever so long it is a reading material and he will then spend tens of minutes there. For him, perhaps it is a pleasure of doing two things at one time! Ha..ha..ha..

And guess what? As he is fond of reading each time performing “that”, I even found him one day coming out of the bathroom with a Dell computer catalogue in his hand which usually came together with the newspaper as flyers. I asked him why the catalogue and he replied saying that he could not make it in time. I laughed then…..J


Anyway, what I am going to write today will not be about my Ilhan but it is about “READING”.

Obviously, we read on so many things everyday. And we also know that reading makes us knowledgeable and through reading, one can indeed develop him or herself and sets the heights of his or her status in a society. The types of materials that we feed our brain with either intellectual or non-intellectual would also contribute to determining ones intelligence. Never limit ourselves to certain interest. Read about politics, sociology, religion, health, sports, entertainment, supermarket flyers, etc. and even the beauty product catalogue! Read everything in fact!

As a consequence, I trust we will certainly enhance our knowledge and be well respected by others. Even, the first verse revealed to Prophet Muhammad SAW was “Iqra or Read”. This proof that how essential and important reading can be in our life. So, do not stop reading, encourage and make our young reads as early as possible. Reading does change one’s destiny. So, enjoy reading…

In my case, I too, read in the bathroom whenever performing “that”. In the early years, my mom who was always with a rattan cane in her hand made my siblings and I read in the bathroom especially that multiplication table so that we filled our precious time with something beneficial while disposing the waste. The good thing is… I guess it contributed much to what I have become today! Thanks mom! So, I continued the legacy with the next generation…my children.J

See ya...

Rhymee

2 comments:

Shaffik said...

More reading more knowledge. More knowledge is more confident to talk to others. Am i rite?

Rhymee said...

Shaffik : Yup! You are absolutely right. But beware, as too much knowledge too a person might become somebody who talk too much. :-)

Post a Comment