Monday 16 May 2011

My Kids Are Getting Older

Salam...

I spent the weekend at home with all of my cartel members. As my daughter Shahira came back from the boarding school, we the whole "familia" purposely stayed at home to enjoy the quality time together. We had meals together, watched television together, cleaned the house together, so to speak.... everything we did all together lah... So, yes... it was a great weekend after all though we were just at home.

How I realized that moving on with the days, my two kids are getting older and progressively maturing themselves. Either physically or mentally, they have changed very much. In my opinion, kids nowadays are no more like those in my time. With the influences around from music to information, I trust it is a very different challenge and perspective we parents are facing today. We can no more deal with them the old way and now every parent has to acquire a mixture of human resource skill, emotional intelligence, SWOT analysis, etc. in managing the kids. You know what? We are like running a Fortune 500 company after all!!! Ha..ha..ha...


Talking about it, my thirteen year old daughter would love to decide on all sorts of things now, for instance on things she listens, things she gonna wear, food she gonna eat, etc. which it seems as that not long ago my wife and I were the one who decided every single thing on her. Even buying a pencil will be decided by us before. Funny ain't it? Perhaps this is the stage where it is a beginning of a teenager's development stage. What I can tell is that at this level I have to adjust the way I look at things concerning her.


Next, my cheeky and mischievous nine year old Ilhan who talks a lot and a Red Devil fanatic. Not long ago, I used to hold his hands when we were at the mall or elsewhere. So, few weeks back, we went shopping at one of the well renowned mall in Bukit Indah. As usual, in public where there are many people, I would hold his hand while walking. But what happened on that day, when I was to hold his hand, he said to me that if we walk holding hands we will look like "Nep's" and he did not wished to be looked like one. :-) I laughed ...then, I decided to hold his hand no more from then on.

By and large, I love seeing and experiencing the growth of my two beloved angels though at times there were situations where it really hit my boiling point but I managed to deal with it successfully and amicably so far. As a parent, in my opinion, such a moment is just temporary and it will happen only once in a lifetime. Hence, deal with it with full of wisdom, value and enjoy it...


In my case, though my kids are getting older, I think I am not and rather on a slower pace comparing with them. I do not look forty by the way, do I? Ha..ha..ha.. My wife said that with the kids I am so accommodating but with her I am an authoritarian. Don't blame me for that, perhaps the culprit is that hard solid rock in my head I think. Ha..ha..ha..

See ya...

Rhymee

4 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah...blame the rock...kihkihkih
it's true...u dont hv that 40s look...uiskhhh, bahaya tu :)

Shaffik said...

Ask Ilham be a Arsenal Fanz..his weekend is more better that wearing AON jersey always.....hahahahahaha

Rhymee said...

Noriz : Yup! That solid hard rock... :-)

Rhymee said...

Shaffik : My Ilhan read your message and he said "Never!"

Post a Comment