Friday 6 May 2011

The Golden Land

Salam...
Do you know that the country Myanmar was called Burma since the British colonial rule until its name was changed in the late eighties?

Last whole week I was in Yangon the capital city of Myanmar on a business trip. As it was my second trip there, I was rather familiar with the surroundings and the expectations. Once touched down, I found out that there were no big changes on the infrastructure since my last trip a year plus ago.

For you to know, the country's capital was Rangoon before it was changed to Yangon. The city is hectic and crowded with people.

The welcome...
A country with a population of almost 60 million people, I find this country unique in its own way. Why? .....there were no motorbikes on the road at all and most cars being driven are those of the sixties until eighties. Likewise, in other Asean cities such as Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Jakarta, Kathmandu and even in our own country motorbike is an important mean of transportation. So, I guess, they gonna miss seeing those dare devils "mat rempit" ravaging the roads in their country! :-)

Unique car plate number
I was also made understood by my friends there that cars are expensive items even the seventies car. No bank loans available and they have to pay cash! Lots of cash I can tell you...

Roadside food  peddler
Things are relatively expensive in Myanmar comparing to our country, however; cigarettes and booze come rather cheaply. :-) ....... saved me on cigarettes though throughout the week - by half!!! Ha..ha..ha..

Perhaps similar to that well renown "tut-tut" in Thailand
Men wearing sarongs are common in Myanmar
Most men wear sarongs in Myanmar at all time. I was as well fascinated to experience seeing businessman, big shot, etc. entered the hotel lobby wearing fine long sleeves shirt on the top and tucked it in the sarong as the bottom part. :-) Well... respect that as it is their culture and tradition.

A pagoda
As majority of the population practice Buddhism, we will find stunning pagodas everywhere in the city. Yet, there are also a handful of mosques and churches which we can find around the city.

...another pagoda
"Ulam" as side dish
Another unique thing was that each time I had my meal, I will be served with the "ulam" as side dish. If only the "sambal belacan" was around, it would be like on top of the top of the world I guess. :-) There are lots of Muslim and Halal restaurants around the city. So, no worry on food though relatively they are more expensive than us.

At the Malaysia Embassy


The street of Yangon

View of Yangon city from top of Sakura Tower

Aung San Suu Kyi's house
On the way to the airport before my departure to the beloved land "Tanah Tumpahnya Darahku", I stopped by and snapped a few photos at what the driver said as Aung San Suu Kyi's house.

After all, though the trip was a fine one, it however, made me missed my ex-Mara Junior Science College Jasin, Malacca Batch 84-88 reunion in Port Dickson. Hmm.... Perhaps next time my good ol' friends.
See ya...
Rhymee

"If you're feeling helpless, help someone." - Aung San Suu Kyi

2 comments:

Unknown said...

bestnye dpt jalan sana...tapi org sana mmg suke mkn ulam kan...patutla awet muda :)

Rhymee said...

There were like 1001 types of ulam available there. No wonderlah they don't require treadmill, gym, slimming pills etc. in Myanmar and Vietnam. :-)

Post a Comment